10 Oct Keeping Teen Drivers Safe – and Insured
National Teen Driver Safety Week is October 20-26. Here at B&B Insurance, a community-oriented Florida car insurance agency covering Lake Worth, Lantana, Boynton Beach and other Palm Beach County communities, we think every week should be Teen Driver Safety Week.
Actually Traffic Safety Marketing, the agency behind National Teen Driver Safety Week, agrees. “This week – and every week,” they say, “parents should have conversations with their teens about the important rules they need to follow to stay safe behind the wheel of a motor vehicle.”
What are biggest threats for your teen driver?
According to Traffic Safety Marketing, a division of the U.S. Department of Transportation, the greatest dangers facing teen drivers are:
- Inconsistent or no seat belt use
- Distracted and drowsy driving
- Speeding, and
- The number of passengers in their car
“It is imperative that all new drivers practice driving with a skilled coach through a variety of routes and in different weather conditions before heading out on their own,” said AAA spokesman Mark Jenkins. “Novice drivers shouldn’t let the first time that they drive in the rain or on the freeway be at a time when they’re alone.”
AAA recommends that new drivers should remember to “R.E.A.D the road”:
- R = Right speed, for right now: Always mind the speed limit and reduce your speed when traveling in adverse weather conditions.
- E = Eyes up, brain on: Always scan the road to anticipate dangers ahead. Eliminate distractions and keep your mind focused on the task of driving.
- A = Anticipate their next move: Be aware of other drivers on the road. Anticipate their next move and always have a plan to respond.
- D = Huge DONUT of space around your vehicle: Keep large amounts of space to the front and sides of your vehicle.
In addition to that advice, AAA offers some great tools for teens and parents at TeenDriving.AAA.com. There’s also the online AAA StartSmart program, which offers resources for parents on how to become effective in-car coaches along with advice on how to manage their teen’s overall driving privileges.
You’ll also want to make sure that you have adequate Florida auto insurance coverage. If you have a teenager who will be hitting the road soon in Boynton Beach, Lake Worth Beach or other surrounding communities, B&B Insurance in Lantana can help. Please contact us.