07 Oct October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month
This time of year, you are likely to be seeing a lot more pink around. It can be seen on football players’ uniforms, some restaurants and stores choose to go pink, you can even see pink around the offices of our Florida home and auto insurance agency.
And it is not just Palm Beach County – the whole country is going pink this month in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
If you, a family member or a friend has ever been diagnosed with breast cancer, we are guessing that you might have a little pink in your closet that you will be showing off this month, too. And, if you are among the fortunate ones, here is some information on the disease that may help you stay healthy.
Breast Cancer Facts and Figures
According to the Susan G. Komen organization, among American women this year: approximately:
- Approximately 276,480 women in the United States will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer (And that figure does not even include recurrences of original breast cancers.)
- Another 48,530 women in the U.S. will receive a diagnosis of ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS), a non-invasive breast cancer
- And sadly, it is estimated that 42,170 American women will die from breast cancer this year.
The United States Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), an organization made up of doctors and disease experts who look at research on the best way to prevent diseases and make recommendations on how doctors can help patients avoid diseases or find them early, recommends that women aged 50 to 74 years who are at average risk for breast cancer should get a mammogram every two years.
Sadly, the Komen organization says that, “Women who don’t have health insurance are much less likely to get mammograms than women with health insurance.” In 2018, they report that:
- 75 percent of women ages 50-74 who have insurance had a mammogram within the past 2 years.
- Only 39 percent of women in that age group without insurance were tested.
If you have questions about health insurance coverage, please contact B&B Insurance, a full-service agency in Lantana with insurance for your car, home, life and more.